Sunday, February 13, 2011

A TIME TO WEEP....

For sometime now, I have been more or less home bound because of health issues, only leaving home to keep doctor appointments or visiting the Radiology Department for tests at our local hospital.

I have not attended church since December 19 but my church family has been so loving and diligent about checking on me and making sure that I have need of nothing, especially during this winter blast that left about 40" of snow stacked up on top of each other following three rounds of the beautiful white stuff.

I have comforted myself, knowing that I am the Temple of God and the Holy Spirit dwells in me. I have found comfort in listening to the New Testament and hearing the Word come alive in my ears. I've enjoyed listening to our Pastor's sermons on our website; enjoyed Christian programing on television and participating in group, studying the Abiding Life.

I have been comforted by the postings (unrelated to my health issues)of my friends and family on Facebook and Twitter. I have been strengthened by the reminder that I am the healed of God and that by His stripes I am healed. Reminded that I am loved and missed and not forgotten.

I have missed being with my church family to worship Him together and to hear His Word expounded upon, but did not have a sense of loss somehow. But today, I wept. Today, even though He is as close as my breath, I have grieved for the fellowship that is my church family. I need them more than they know and more than I have ever realized, not because of illness, but because of a new awareness of the impact that the fellowship of love has on my life (our life).

My challenges will be resolved one day. but God has used this time to let me experience how those who are not able to be with us any longer, need our fellowship and love.

Jesus told us to love one another, as He has loved us. We have been instructed not to forsake the gathering of ourselves together as the manner of some is, but even more so when we see that day approaching. God knew that we would need each other. He knew that we needed that strong bond of fellowship that would hold us up when we could not hold ourselves up. He knew how important it was going to be for us to know one another and trust one another, as the days of testing approach.

If we don't know one another now, if we can't trust one another now, if we don't love one another now, what will the outcome be when the fiery darts of testing come?

It would seem that these kinds of transitions are going to come to most of us if we live long enough and the Lord tarries. Some are home bound for extended periods of time, perhaps until God calls them home. We need to remember them. Understand that they are in a transition time and bring that fellowship of the brotherhood to them. It's not over yet. They still need that strength and encouragement that comes from regular fellowship with other believers.

My Pastor and his wife have pastored this church for over 30 years, and they continue ministering to those who can no longer attend services. We need to do the same.

Weep for those who are no longer able to be with you in service and bring that service to them. Love them and fellowship them in the place where they are and hold them up in your prayers.

Be Jesus to someone who needs that love that only comes from the Giver of Life.

1 comment: